Rapid Automated Bacterial Impedance Technique (RABIT)
RABIT is a direct and indirect impedance measurement system for the rapid detection of bacteria, yeasts and moulds. The system is designed to allow tests to be carried out over a range of incubation temperatures to provide maximum flexibility for microbiological testing.
- Use the direct technique to measure the changes of metabolizing micro-organisms as they increase electrical conductance of the culture media in the system – detects growth at the beginning of the growth phase, not at the end as with traditional methods.
- Use the indirect technique to monitor the amount of carbon dioxide produced by growing organisms. This technique is particularly suitable for detecting organisms that do not produce highly charged metabolites.
- Uses Windows™-based software for easy sample entry and analysis of results. You can also export your data for use in other spreadsheet/ database programs.
- Low consumable costs as the test cells are durable and re-usable.
- RABIT is a modular system that can build with your requirements: from a single 32-channel incubator module up to 16 incubators (providing 512 channels).
- Ideal for quality assurance on raw materials and finished products, water testing, challenge testing, product performance, antibacterial studies, TVC, coliforms, enterobacteriaceae, Salmonella sp, anaerobes, gram negatives, spore formers and yeasts/moulds.
This system is used by food and dairy laboratories and university research laboratories.
- RABIT 3 is a compact and versatile system for rapid microbial testing. The modular design enables a laboratory to enter the field of rapid testing with an initial system which comprises a PC, Ethernet switch and a single 32 channel incubator module.
- The system can be expanded to provide a total of 512 channels by adding more incubator modules*. No further expenditure on computer hardware or software is necessary.
- The system is designed to allow tests to be carried out over a range of incubation temperatures to provide maximum flexibility for microbiological testing.
- The Windows™-based software provides an easy to operate environment for sample entry and analysis of results. The impressive data handling capabilities are further enhanced by a facility to export generated data for use in various spreadsheet/database software programmes.
- RABIT combines high technical specifications with low consumable costs – preserving the major financial advantage of rapid microbial detection. The test cells are durable, re-usable and easy to clean and maintain.
- Laboratories in the food, pharmaceutical, petrochemical, public health and dairy industries, in addition to many universities, are using RABIT with excellent results. All Don Whitley Scientific customers have access to our team of engineering, electronics, software and microbiology staff. Any special needs are considered by microbiologists working in our own GLP-compliant laboratories.
* Please note that RABIT 3 incubator modules are not compatible with older RABIT systems.